A N A C T
RELATING TO DOMESTIC ABUSE PREVENTION
It is enacted by the General Assembly as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 15-15-1 of the General Laws in Chapter 15-15 entitled "Domestic Abuse Prevention" is hereby amended to read as follows:
15-15-1. Definitions -- The following words as used in this chapter shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Courts" means the family court.
(2) "Domestic abuse" means the occurrence of one or more of the following acts between present or former family members, parents, stepparents, or persons who are or have been in a substantive dating or engagement relationship within the past six (6) months in which at least one of the persons is a minor:
(i) Attempting to cause or causing physical harm;
(ii) Placing another in fear of imminent serious physical harm;
(iii) Causing another to engage involuntarily in sexual relations by force, threat of force, or duress.
(3) "Parents" means persons who together are the legal parents of one or more children, regardless of their marital status or whether they have lived together at any time.
(4) "Present or former family member" means the spouse, former spouse, minor children, stepchildren, or persons who are related by blood or marriage or who were previously related by marriage.
(5) "Substantive dating" or "engagement relationship" means a significant and personal/intimate relationship which shall be adjudged by the court's consideration by the following factors:
(i) The length of time of the relationship;
(ii) The type of relationship;
(iii) The frequency of interaction between the parties.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon passage.