A N A C T
RELATING TO OPERATORS' AND CHAUFFEURS' LICENSES
It is enacted by the General Assembly as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 31-10-2 of the General Laws in Chapter 31-10 entitled "Operators' and Chauffeurs' Licenses" is hereby amended to read as follows:
31-10-2. Persons exempt from licensing requirements -- The following persons are exempt from the licensing requirements hereunder:
(1) Any employee of the United States government while operating a motor vehicle owned by or leased to the United States government and being operated on official business.
(2) A nonresident who is at least sixteen (16) years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid operator's license issued to him or her in his or her home state or country may operate a motor vehicle in this state only as an operator;
(3) A nonresident who is at least eighteen (18) years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid chauffeur's license issued to him or her in his or her home state or country may operate a motor vehicle in this state either as an operator or chauffeur.
subject Subject to the age limits applicable to chauffeurs in this state except that that person must be licensed as a chauffeur hereunder before accepting employment as a chauffeur from a resident of this state; that license shall be accepted as a chauffeur class I license. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a nonresident must submit an application for a chauffeur class I license which must be approved before a nonresident may be employed as a chauffeur in this state;
(4) Any nonresident who is at least eighteen (18) years of age, whose home state or country does not require the licensing of operators, may operate a motor vehicle as an operator only, for a period of not more than ninety (90) days in any calendar year, if the motor vehicle so operated is duly registered in the home state or country of that nonresident;
(5) Any operator of any traction engine, road roller, farm tractor, crane, power shovel, well borer, and any other road and building construction machinery and equipment, other than a truck used for the transportation of materials.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon passage.