A N A C T
RELATING TO REGISTRATION AND CERTIFICATE OF TITLE LAWS
It is enacted by the General Assembly as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 31-8-4 of the General Laws in Chapter 31-8 entitled "Registration and Certificate of Title Laws" is hereby amended to read as follows:
31-8-4. Suspension or revocation of registration or certificate of title -- (a) The registry is hereby authorized to suspend or revoke the registration of a vehicle or a certificate of title, registration card, or registration plate, or any nonresident or other permit, in any of the following events:
(1) When the registry is satisfied that the registration or that the certificate, card, plate, or permit was fraudulently or erroneously issued;
(2) When the registry determines that a registered vehicle is mechanically unfit or unsafe to be operated or moved upon the highways;
(3) When a registered vehicle has been dismantled or wrecked;
(4) When the registry determines that the required fee has not been paid and the fee is not paid upon reasonable notice and demand;
(5) When a registration plate or permit is knowingly displayed upon a vehicle other than the one for which issued;
(6) When the registry determines that the owner has committed any offense under chapters 3 -- 9 of this title involving the registration or the certificate, card, plate, or permit to be suspended or revoked; or
(7) When the registry is so authorized under any other provision of law.
(8) Upon receipt or notice the carrier and/or operator of a commercial motor vehicle has violated or is not in compliance with section 386.72 or section 390.5 et seq. of the motor carrier safety regulations or chapter 23 of this title.
(b) Upon removal of cause for which the registration or certificate of title was revoked, denied or suspended, the registry shall require the registrant or applicant to pay a restoration fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) total for all certificates of title or registrations restored with respect to that cause.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon passage.