A N A C T
RELATING TO WATERS AND NAVIGATION - - REGULATION OF BOATS
Introduced By: Senators Coderre and Goodwin
It is enacted by the General Assembly as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 46-22-2 of the General Laws in Chapter 46-22 entitled "Regulation of Boats" is hereby amended to read as follows:
46-22-2. Definitions. -- As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires a different meaning:
(1) "Director" means the director of environmental management.
(2) "Motorboat" means any vessel whether or not the vessel is propelled by machinery. For purposes of this chapter, motorboat shall not include houseboats as defined in section 44-5-25.1,
any ferry, canoes, and rowboats twelve feet (12') in length or less.
(3) "Operate" means to navigate or otherwise use a motorboat or a vessel.
(4) "Owner" means a person, other than a lien holder, having the property in or title to a motorboat. The term includes a person entitled to the use or possession of a motorboat subject to an interest in another person, reserved, or created by agreement and securing payment or performance of an obligation, but the term excludes a lessee under a lease not intended as security.
(5) "Person" means an individual, partnership, firm, corporation, association, or other entity.
(6) "Personal watercraft" means a small class A vessel less than sixteen feet (16') in length which uses an outboard motor or an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of motive power; and which is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind the vessel, rather than the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside of the vessel.
(7) "Vessel" means every description of watercraft, other than a seaplane on the water, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.
(8) "Waters of this state" means any waters within the territorial limits of this state, and the marginal sea adjacent to this state and the high seas when navigated as a part of a journey or ride to or from the shore of this state.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon passage.