A N A C T
RELATING TO TOWNS AND CITIES -- ZONING ORDINANCES -- JAMESTOWN AND BARRINGTON
It is enacted by the General Assembly as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 45-24-42 of the General Laws in Chapter 45-24 entitled "Zoning Ordinances" is hereby amended to read as follows:
45-24-42. General provisions -- Special-use permits. -- A zoning ordinance shall provide for the issuance of special-use permits approved by the zoning board of review.
(a) The ordinance shall:
(1) Specify the uses requiring special-use permits in each district;
(2) Describe the conditions and procedures under which special-use permits, of each or the various categories of special-use permits established in the zoning ordinance, may be issued;
(3) Establish criteria for the issuance of each category of special-use permit, that shall be in conformance with the purposes and intent of the comprehensive plan and the zoning ordinance of the city or town;
(4) Provide for public hearings and notification of the date, time, place, and purpose of those hearings to interested parties. Public notice shall be given at least fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the hearing in a newspaper of general circulation in the city or town. Notice of hearing shall be sent by first class mail to the applicant, and to all those who would require notice under section 45-24-53. The notice shall also include the street address of the subject property. A zoning ordinance may require that a supplemental notice, that an application for a special use permit is under consideration, be posted at the location in question. The posting is for information purposes only and does not constitute required notice of a public hearing. The cost of notification shall be borne by the applicant;
(5) Provide for the recording of findings of fact and written decisions; and
(6) Provide that appeals may be taken pursuant to section 45-24-70.
(b) In the towns of Barrington and Jamestown the ordinance additionally may provide that an applicant may apply for, and be issued, a dimensional variance in conjunction with a special use. If the special use could not exist without the dimensional variance, the zoning board of review shall consider the special use permit and the dimensional variance together to determine if granting the special use is appropriate based on both the special use criteria and the dimensional variance evidentiary standards.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon passage.