05-R 276

2005 -- H 6501

Enacted 5/17/05


H O U S E  R E S O L U T I O N




     Introduced By: Representatives Sullivan, Landroche, Moffitt, Gorham, and Murphy

     Date Introduced: May 17, 2005



     WHEREAS, Rhode Island was founded on the promise of religious freedom, such were

the hopes and dreams of around fifty polish families, living in Rhode Island in 1901, who had

emigrated from their native country of Poland; and

     WHEREAS, In the basement of St. John's Church, a newly organized parish, under the

direction of Father Francis Kluger, celebrated the Sacrament of Baptism on October 10, 1905,

and their first Mass on October 22, 1905. The church was organized by John Szrek and Joseph

Olszewski, who later became the first lay trustees, in order to provide Polish families living in the

Pawtuxet Valley area, with a place that they could worship God in their native language; and

     WHEREAS, On February 12, 1906, the parish, through the dedicated efforts of its

parishioners, purchased an acre of land in Quidnick. Late in 1906, Father John Nowicki replaced

Father Kluger. Work on the parish continued and on April 21, 1907, the newly built church,

named Our Lady of Czenstochowa Church, was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Harkins; and

     WHEREAS, On March 1, 1908, Our Lady of Czenstochowa Church was incorporated

under the laws of the State of Rhode Island. Over the next two decades the church thrived and the

congregation expanded; and

     WHEREAS, In 1927, a few years before their 25th Anniversary, the parish purchased four

acres of land that included two buildings already on the property. The first building was

converted into a school and convent and the second eventually became an annex to the school;


     WHEREAS, By the 25th anniversary of their founding, Our Lady of Czenstochowa

Church had become a burgeoning religious, didactic and social community; and

     WHEREAS, By 1956, the church's school had overflowing classrooms and a committee

was established to begin raising funds for the construction of a new school. After four very

productive years, the church's new school was dedicated on January 15, 1961. During this period

of time, Our Lady of Czenstochowa Church celebrated their Golden Jubilee, which was the 50th

anniversary of the dedication of the church building and the 52nd anniversary of the founding of

the parish; and

     WHEREAS, Bishop Louis Gelineau celebrated Mass at the parish in 1979. December of

this year also marked the official beginning of the Diamond Jubilee Celebration Year. The goals

for the year included a compilation and publication of the parish's history, a memorial mass and

parish banquet and a renovation program. The year was filled with a multitude of special events

aimed at enhancing the spiritual and social well being of the parish; and

     WHEREAS, Over the next twenty-five years Our Lady of Czenstochowa Church has

continued to grow and has seen many new additions and numerous improvements. Currently

gifted with the outstanding and devout leadership of Father Amaral, the parish continues to

flourish and provide for the spiritual needs of the surrounding community; now, therefore be it

     RESOLVED, That this House of Representatives of the State of Rhode Island and

Providence Plantations hereby congratulates the congregation and ministry of Our Lady of

Czenstochowa Church on its 100th Anniversary and wishes them continued spiritual success and

many more years of community enrichment and service; and be it further

     RESOLVED, That the Secretary of State be and he hereby is authorized and directed to

transmit a duly certified copy of this resolution to Father Amaral, Our Lady of Czenstochowa

Church, Coventry, Rhode Island.