§ 10-20-2 Definitions.
For purposes of this chapter, the following terms have the meanings given them in this section:
(1) "Environmental control agency" shall mean any state agency which is empowered to protect, preserve, or enhance the natural resources of the state which includes, but is not limited to, the department of environmental management, the department of health, coastal resources management council, public utilities commission, the statewide planning program, and the water resources board.
(2) "Environmental quality standard" shall mean any statute, ordinance, limitation, regulation, rule, order, license, stipulation, agreement, or permit of the state or any instrumentality, agency, or political subdivision thereof.
(3) "Natural resources" shall include, but not be limited to, all mineral, animal, botanical, air, water, land, timber, soil, quietude, and recreational resources.
(4) "Nonresident individual" means any natural person, or his or her personal representative, who is not domiciled or residing in the state when suit is commenced.
(5) "Person" means any natural person, any state, municipality, or other governmental or political subdivision or other public agency or instrumentality, any public or private corporation, any partnership, firm, association, or other organization, any receiver, trustee, assignee, agent, or other legal representative of any of the foregoing, and any other entity.
(6) "Pollution, impairment, or destruction" is any conduct by any person which violates, or is likely to violate, any environmental quality standard which was issued prior to the date the alleged violation occurred or is likely to occur or any conduct which materially adversely affects or is likely to materially adversely affect the environment.
(P.L. 1978, ch. 224, § 1.)