§ 12-19-23.1. Intermediate punishments Purpose.
The objectives of intermediate punishments include:
(1) The provision of a realistic criminal sentencing alternative to incarceration for offenders consistent with the public safety;
(2) protection of our citizenry through stringent supervision and monitoring of offenders;
(3) The accountability of offenders and satisfaction of the retributive goal of sentencing through the use and enforcement of intermediate punishments;
(4) The initiation and maintenance of an objectives-based plan of supervision that addresses personal and social development; and
(5) The emphasis and promotion of offenders' adherence to program requirements of employment/education, community service, victim restitution, financial responsibility, participation in treatment programs, and strict adherence to all conditions of intermediate punishments.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 205, § 1.)