Criminal Procedure

Appeals in Criminal Cases

SECTION 12-22-1

§ 12-22-1. Right to appeal from district to superior court.

Every person aggrieved by the sentence of the district court for any offense other than a violation may, within five (5) days after the sentence, appeal from the district court to the superior court for the county in which the division of the district court is situated, by claiming an appeal in the court or in the office of the clerk of the court appealed from or at any of the penal institutions of the state, before any justice of the supreme or superior court, or before a justice or clerk of the court appealed from, or before any of the persons authorized to take bail at the penal institutions.

History of Section.
(C.P.A. 1905, § 461; G.L. 1909, ch. 296, § 1; G.L. 1923, ch. 346, § 1; G.L. 1938, ch. 630, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 12-22-1; P.L. 1969, ch. 239, § 29; P.L. 1976, ch. 173, § 5.)