§ 13-8.2-2. Definitions.
As used in this chapter the following words and terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Board" means the parole board within the Rhode Island department of corrections, established pursuant to the provisions of § 13-8-1.
(2) "Department" means the department of corrections.
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of corrections.
(4) "Eligible petitioner" means a person who has not been convicted of a crime or of an offense as defined in RIGL subdivision 11-47-2(2) and in RIGL subdivision 12-1.3-1(1) who has not been convicted of more than one felony.
(5) "Certificate of recovery & re-entry " or "certificate" shall serve as one determining factor, consistent with concerns of public safety, of the person's ability to obtain employment, professional licenses, housing and other benefits and opportunities. Provided, further, that said instrument shall serve as a determination that the person receiving it has successfully achieved his or her recovery & re-entry goals as provided for in § 13-8.2-4.
(6) "Conviction" notwithstanding the provisions of § 12-18-3, means the imposition of a fine, period of incarceration whether or not suspended, probation or deferred sentence imposed after the entry of a plea of nolo contendere.
(7) "Petition" means the motion, pleading, or other legal document or form seeking the issuance of a certificate of recovery & re-entry from the board.
(8) "Felony" means a conviction of a felony in this state or of an offense, that is not a crime of violence, in any other jurisdiction for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in excess of one year, was authorized. Criminal acts committed outside the state shall be classified as acts committed within the state.
(P.L. 2013, ch. 322, § 1; P.L. 2013, ch. 412, § 1.)