Delinquent and Dependent Children

Proceedings in Family Court

SECTION 14-1-32.1

§ 14-1-32.1. Juvenile victim restitution program.

(a) If a judge of the family court finds that a child is delinquent, wayward, or otherwise within the provisions of this chapter, and places the child on probation, he or she shall, where appropriate, require the child to compensate the victim for losses due to the act of the child, and the child shall make restitution in a reasonable amount within a reasonable period of time and in accordance with that payment schedule established by the judge from funds earned by the child pursuant to employment engaged in by the child. The restitution shall be made under the direction of a probation counselor in cooperation with the administrator of the juvenile victim restitution program within the family court.

(b) If the child is not employed, the probation counselor, in cooperation with the restitution program administrator or a member of his or her staff, shall make a reasonable effort to find private or other public employment for the child. However, if the child does not have employment after a reasonable time and private or other public employment is not obtained, despite the efforts of the restitution program staff, the child shall, where appropriate, be directed by the court to perform work in some type of community restitution and with arrangements for compensation pursuant to § 14-1-32.2. If parents make monetary restitution, the child may still be ordered to perform community restitution without compensation.

(c) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, the employer of a juvenile hired pursuant to the provisions of this section shall receive a credit of ten percent (10%) of the amount of wages paid to the juvenile annually against the state income tax owed by the employer, provided the credit shall not exceed the sum of three thousand dollars ($3,000) annually.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1980, ch. 244, § 1; P.L. 1982, ch. 220, § 1; P.L. 1982, ch. 345, § 1; P.L. 1983, ch. 167, art. XXIV, § 1; P.L. 1989, ch. 185, § 1.)