§ 15-13-2. Setting of support for children receiving public assistance.
(a) If the statement appended to the petition indicates that any child of the marriage is a recipient of or applicant for public assistance, a hearing shall be held as promptly as possible to determine the amount of support to which each child is entitled from the appropriate parent. The department of human services shall be given notice of the hearing and shall appear at the hearing for the purpose of assisting the court in fixing the amount of support. In the absence of the consent of the parties and agreement of the department of human services, the court shall not enter an order providing for support without conducting a hearing.
(b) In fixing the amount of support, which the parent shall be ordered to pay, the court shall take into account the following factors:
(1) All earnings, income, and resources of the parent including real and personal property;
(2) The earnings potential of the parent;
(3) The reasonable necessities of the parent;
(4) The needs of the child for whom support is sought;
(5) The existence and needs of other dependents of the parent; and
(6) Any other factors, which bear upon the needs of the child and the ability of the parent to provide financial support of those needs.
History of Section.
P.L. 1977, ch. 258, § 2; P.L. 1988, ch. 84, § 69.