§ 16-16-28 Children's benefits.
(a) Children's benefits are payable to the child, including a stepchild or adopted child of a deceased member, if:
(1) The child is unmarried and under the age of eighteen (18) years or twenty-three (23) years and a full time student, and was dependent upon the member at the time of the member's death; or
(2) The dependent child regardless of age was under a disability which began before the child attained the age of eighteen (18) years. A child shall not be considered disabled unless proof is furnished to the retirement board.
(b)(1) A child is considered dependent if living with the member at the time of the member's death and he or she was contributing to the support of the child. If the member at the time of the member's death was not living with the child or contributing to the child's support, the child, if legitimate, is considered dependent upon the member unless the child:
(i) Was adopted by some other individual; or
(ii) Was living with and receiving more than one-half ( 1/2) of his or her support from either one or both stepparents.
(2) An adopted child is considered dependent upon his or her adopting parents under the same conditions as those that apply to parents and their natural children.
(c) A child is considered dependent upon either one or both stepparents at the time of the death if the child was:
(1) Living with his or her stepparent(s); or
(2) Receiving at least one-half ( 1/2) of his or her support from either one or both of the stepparents.
(P.L. 1962, ch. 212, § 3; P.L. 1974, ch. 254, § 1; P.L. 1983, ch. 217, § 1; P.L. 1986, ch. 498, § 1.)