Curriculum [See Title 16 Chapter 97 — the Rhode Island Board of Education Act]
R.I. Gen. Laws § 16-22-33
§ 16-22-33. Curriculum implementation accountability.
(a) Once local education agencies ("LEAs") select high-quality curriculum and materials pursuant to § 16-22-32, the department of elementary and secondary education (the "department") shall identify an LEA assistance partner from within the department to provide any and all support requested by the LEA or individual schools within the LEA regarding access to, implementation of, and professional development for the curriculum and materials.
(b) The LEA assistance partner shall meet with teachers, principals, administrators, or other school officials of the LEA to which they are assigned at a school within the LEA on a regular basis, which shall be no less frequently than every three (3) months, to discuss the progress toward implementing the curriculum and materials effectively. Areas of discussion may include, but are not limited to:
(1) Barriers to learning and plans to eliminate said barriers;
(2) Best practices regarding pedagogical techniques given the diversity of the student population being served;
(3) Where to locate additional professional development resources; and
(4) Implementation strategies that have been successful to share with other LEAs that are using the same curriculum and materials.
(c) The LEA assistance partner shall tour all schools within its assigned LEA with at least one teacher and the principal or assistant principal:
(1) To observe challenges teachers are facing while implementing the curriculum and materials;
(2) To discuss with the teacher and principal or assistant principal ideas to help resolve those challenges; and
(3) To answer any questions regarding the curriculum or implementation thereof.
(d) The LEA assistance partner shall have follow-up meetings at schools within their assigned LEA as often as requested by an individual school or the entire LEA to ensure all educators are comfortable implementing the curriculum effectively.
(e) The LEA assistance partner shall report to the department no less frequently than every three (3) months regarding the status of curriculum implementation at the schools within their assigned LEA.
(f) The commissioner is hereby authorized to promulgate rules and regulations necessary to implement the provisions of this section.
(g) For the purposes of this section, "local education agencies" ("LEAs") shall include all of the following within the state of Rhode Island:
(1) Public school districts;
(2) Regional school districts;
(3) State-operated schools;
(4) Regional collaborative schools; and
(5) Charter schools.
History of Section.
P.L. 2019, ch. 89, § 1; P.L. 2019, ch. 150, § 1.