§ 16-62-3. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings unless the context shall indicate another or different meaning or intent:
(1) “Authority” means the governmental agency and public instrumentality authorized, created, and established pursuant to § 16-62-4.
(2) “Bonds” and “notes” means the bonds, notes, securities, or other obligations or evidences of indebtedness issued by the authority pursuant to this chapter, all of which shall be issued under the name of or known as obligations of the Rhode Island student loan authority.
(3) “Education loan” means a loan to a student or the parent, legal guardian, or sponsor of the student, or to an eligible institution, for the purpose of financing a student’s attendance at the eligible institution. The loan may provide that the student, parent, legal guardian, or sponsor of the student or eligible institution may be held jointly and severally liable for the education loan.
(4) “Eligible institution” means, subject to further particular or more restrictive definition by regulation of the authority: (i) an institution of higher learning, (ii) a vocational school, or (iii) with respect to students who are nationals of the United States, an institution outside the United States which is comparable to an institution of higher education or to a vocational school and which has been approved by the authority and by the secretary for purposes of the guaranteed student loan program.
(5) “Eligible loan” means a loan to a student or to the parent of a student insured or guaranteed by the secretary, Rhode Island division of higher education assistance, or by any other governmental or private agency, corporation, or organization having a reinsurance or guaranty agreement with the secretary applicable to that loan.
(6) “Guaranteed student loan program” means the program of federal student loan insurance and reinsurance administered by the secretary.
(7) “Lender” means, subject to further particular or more restrictive definition by regulation of the authority, any governmental or private agency, corporation, organization, or institution (including educational institutions and the authority itself) designated as an “eligible lender” by federal statute, regulation, or administrative ruling for the purposes of the guaranteed student loan program.
(8) “Secretary” means the United States secretary of education or the secretary of health and human services.
(9) “State” means the state of Rhode Island.
(10) “Student” means an individual who under rules promulgated by the authority meets the enrollment and satisfactory progress requirement necessary for making an eligible student loan or an education loan, as applicable. This designation shall include dependent and independent undergraduate students, and graduate and professional students.
History of Section.
P.L. 1981, ch. 44, § 1; P.L. 1982, ch. 162, § 1; P.L. 1983, ch. 82, § 1; P.L. 1985, ch. 80, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 35, § 1; P.L. 2015, ch. 141, art. 7, § 8.