Rhode Island Literacy and Dropout Prevention Act [See Title 16 Chapter 97 — The Rhode Island Board of Education Act]
R.I. Gen. Laws § 16-67-3
§ 16-67-3. Coordination with programs for special populations.
It is required that programs serving special population students be coordinated with the requirements of this chapter. All these programs shall focus on literacy objectives to the extent appropriate for each special population. All coordinating efforts shall not absolve participating school districts from meeting all requirements of state and/or federal laws, regulations, and mandates. In particular, programs for supplementary literacy instruction for educationally disadvantaged students in kindergarten through grade twelve (12) shall meet the following criteria which shall be included in a plan submitted annually and reviewed and approved by the department of elementary and secondary education:
(1) Services shall be based on an annual assessment of need;
(2) Programs shall have performance objectives evaluated annually;
(3) Programs must provide supplementary services;
(4) Programs must be monitored by the department of elementary and secondary education; and
(5) School districts must keep records on the above and afford access to the records by the department of elementary and secondary education.
History of Section.
P.L. 1987, ch. 582, § 1.