§ 16-74-2. Objectives of program.
(a) The guaranteed student entitlement program shall:
(1) Limit the property tax rate levied in each community for education;
(2) Provide for the costs necessary to educate students with special or additional needs;
(3) Provide for an examination of expenditures to determine their support of student achievement trends and state education goals;
(4) Provide for incentives to improve student achievement;
(5) Provide for the establishment of a per pupil expenditure rate which shall also take into account the costs of programs for children with special needs and circumstances;
(6) Establish a process to determine the rates in subdivision (5) of this subsection;
(7) Provide for the design of an appropriate database; and
(8) Include an implementation plan.
(b) District contributions shall be based upon property values and income.
(c) The department of administration shall provide recommendations for adjustments to the state and local tax structures to achieve the goals outlined in subdivisions (a)(1) through (8).
(d) The commissioner of elementary and secondary education shall consult with various state and private parties which shall include but not be limited to the executive department, legislature, department of administration, league of cities and towns, school committees association, RIPEC, parent groups, teacher groups, and other interested organizations.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 239, § 1.)