§ 16-77-2.1 Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) "District charter schools" means schools created by existing public schools, groups of public school personnel, public school districts, or a group of school districts.
(2) "Independent charter schools" means schools created by: (I) Rhode Island nonprofit organizations provided that these nonprofit organizations shall have existed for at least two (2) years and must exist for a substantial reason other than to operate a school; or (ii) Colleges or universities within the State of Rhode Island.
(3) "Mayoral academies" means schools created by a mayor of any city or town within the State of Rhode Island, acting by or through a nonprofit organization (regardless of the time said nonprofit organization is in existence) to establish a mayoral academy as hereinafter described in chapter 16-77.4 ("Mayoral Academies"). For purposes of this chapter the term "mayor" shall include any elected town administrator.
(4) "Charter public schools" means district charter schools, independent charter schools, or mayoral academies.
(5) "Board of regents" means the Rhode Island board of regents for elementary and secondary education.
(6) "Commissioner" means the Rhode Island commissioner of elementary and secondary education.
(7) "Sending school district" means the district where the student attending or planning to attend a charter public school resides.
(P.L. 2010, ch. 84, § 3; P.L. 2010, ch. 107, § 3.)