§ 16-83-3. School committees Implementation of policy.
Every school committee in every city or town shall initiate policy intended to improve the educational performance of its middle schools. Said policy shall include the following criteria:
(1) Encourage the redesign of its middle schools. Such a redesign effort should include all of the key elements of reformed middle schools, particularly time for team planning at least three (3) times per week and occurring during the school day.
(2) Encourage the professional development of all middle school teachers to better prepare them to successfully deal with the challenges of educating the middle school student.
(3) Encourage after-school social and recreational programs at its middle schools to better engage and connect the middle school students to their school.
(4) Encourage extended day academic tutorial programs for all students performing below standard in English, language arts and mathematics.
(5) Encourage the training of parents and community organizations to better prepare them to address the numerous needs of middle school students when they are not in school.
(P.L. 2004, ch. 452, § 1; P.L. 2013, ch. 501, § 82.)