§ 17-27-1 Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Aggregate amount" means the total of all contributions made to a particular general officer, candidate for general office, or political party within the time period set forth;
(2) "Business entity" means a sole proprietorship, partnership, firm, corporation, holding company, joint stock company, receivership, trust, or any other entity recognized in law through which business for profit is conducted;
(3) "Contribution" means a transfer of money, paid personal services, or other thing of value reportable under the terms of chapter 25 of this title;
(4) "Executive officer" means any person who is appointed or elected as an officer of a business entity by either the incorporators, stockholders, or directors of the business entity who is in charge of a principal business unit, division, or function of the business entity, or participates or has authority to participate other than in the capacity of a director in major policymaking functions of the business entity or who is actively engaged in soliciting business from the state or conducting, other than in a ministerial capacity, business with the state; provided, that officers of the business entity who are located outside the state, are not residents of the state, and do not participate in the business of the business entity within this state shall be exempted from the requirements of this chapter;
(5) "Goods or services" shall not include services provided to a state agency by:
(i) Any public utility company; or
(ii) A federal or state banking institution or other depository institution solely in connection with depository accounts held by the institution on behalf of a state agency;
(6) "State agency" means a branch, department, division, agency, commission, board, office, bureau, or authority of the government of the state of Rhode Island;
(7)(i) "State vendor" means:
(A) A person or business entity that sells goods or provides services to any state agency,
(B) A person or business entity which has an ownership interest of ten (10%) percent or more in a business entity that sells goods or provides services to any state agency, or
(C) A person who is an executive officer of a business entity that sells goods or provides services to any state agency,
(D) The spouse or minor child of a person qualifying as a state vendor under the terms of subparagraphs (A), (B) or (C) of this paragraph, unless the spouse works for a vendor in competition for state business with the reporting business entity, or
(E) A business of the business entity that is a parent or subsidiary of a business entity that sells goods or provides services to any state agency.
(ii) "State vendor" does not mean:
(A) A municipality,
(B) A corporation established pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3),
(C) A hospital,
(D) A state or federal agency, or
(E) A person receiving reimbursement for an approved state expense. The director of administration is authorized to provide as a public record a list of further exemptions consistent with the purposes of this chapter.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 249, § 1; P.L. 1994, ch. 140, § 1; P.L. 2004, ch. 6, § 48.)