§ 17-6-1.2. Statewide central voter register.
(a) Given the development of the necessary technology and the potential availability of federal funds, the secretary of state shall procure a statewide central voter register in accordance with all relevant state purchasing requirements. The system shall include, but not be limited to:
(1) A statewide database maintained by the secretary of state;
(2) All necessary hardware and software for the thirty-nine (39) local boards of canvassers to maintain their local voter registration records;
(3) All necessary hardware and software necessary for the electronic integration of voter registration records from the division of motor vehicles;
(4) All necessary hardware and software for the electronic integration of voter registration records from certain agencies processing voter registrations in accordance with § 17-9.1-8 where the secretary of state finds that the number of registrations processed warrants the electronic integration; and
(5) Additional terminals for access to the voter files as determined by the secretary of state.
(b) Local boards of canvassers will have the responsibility and sole authority for any addition, correction, or deletion of information from their local voting records. The office of the secretary of state, or the designee of the secretary of state, shall provide training and technical support for all local boards of canvassers in the operation and maintenance of their local voter registration system.
(c) The format and structure of the database shall be developed by the office of the secretary of state in conjunction with the vendor to whom the contract is awarded.
(d) Funding for the procurement of the statewide central voter register shall be through federal funds appropriated to the state of Rhode Island, subject to appropriation by the general assembly, pursuant to election reform legislation adopted by the United States Congress in 2002.
(P.L. 2002, ch. 191, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 192, § 1.)