§ 18-4.1-3 Purpose.
The purpose of this chapter is to:
(1) Assure Rhode Islanders retain or expand access to high quality public radio station programming;
(2) Establish a process to evaluate, monitor and review whether the conversion of a public radio station to a commercial station is consistent with the intentions of Rhode Island donors whose contributions had made the noncommercial station viable;
(3) Establish a review process for determining whether assessment of a conversion fee is appropriate in a public radio station conversion;
(4) Clarify the jurisdiction and the authority of the department of attorney general to preserve and protect public and charitable assets in reviewing public radio station conversions; and
(5) Provide for independent organizations to hold, spend and/or distribute the conversion fee for public radio station conversions that the attorney general considers not to provide a community benefit.
(P.L. 2005, ch. 211, § 1; P.L. 2005, ch. 369, § 1.)