SECTION 18-6-2

§ 18-6-2. Discharge of trustee by payment into court.

(a) Whenever a trustee holds any sum of money, or any bond, note, or other obligation for money, or evidence of indebtedness, or any certificate of stock or other chose in action, payable or deliverable to, or the property of, another, and the person entitled to it cannot, for any reason, give proper receipt or discharge for it, and the trustee holding the money or property desires to free himself or herself from further liability for it, the trustee may pay or deliver the money or property into the registry of the superior court, presenting with it his or her petition praying to be discharged, and setting out, under oath, to the best of the knowledge, information, and belief of the affiant, the circumstances under which the trustee holds the money or property, and how the other person or persons is or are entitled to it, and why the trustee or they cannot give proper receipt or discharge for the money or property; and upon the filing of the petition, notice of it shall be given in the manner that the court shall direct.

(b) The court shall take any proceedings in respect of the money or property that it deems best.

(c) The costs and expenses, including expenses and counsel fees of the trustee, as between solicitor and client, as allowed by the court or by one of the justices of the court, shall be paid or retained accordingly out of the money or property.

(d) When any person entitled to the money or property paid or deposited in the registry appears and satisfies the court as to his or her right to the money or property, it shall be paid or delivered over to that person as the court shall direct.

History of Section.
(G.L. 1896, ch. 208, § 23; C.P.A. 1905, § 1147; G.L. 1909, ch. 259, § 23; G.L. 1923, ch. 303, § 23; G.L. 1938, ch. 486, § 19; G.L. 1956, § 18-6-2.)