§ 19-1-1. Definitions.
Unless otherwise specified, the following terms shall have the following meanings throughout this title:
(1) "Agreement to form" means the agreement to form a financial institution or the agreement to form a credit union, as applicable, pursuant to this title, and includes, for financial institutions organized before December 31, 1995, the articles of incorporation or the agreement of association of the financial institution, where applicable.
(2) "Branch" means any office or place of business, other than the main office or customer-bank-communication-terminal outlets as provided for in this title, at which deposits are received, or checks paid or money lent, or at which any trust powers are exercised. Any financial institution that had, on or before June 30, 2003, established an office or place of business, other than its main office, at which trust powers are exercised, shall not be required to obtain the approval of the director, or the director's designee, pursuant to § 19-2-11 for any such offices established as of that date.
(3) "Credit union" means a credit union duly organized under the laws of this state.
(4) "Director" means the director of the department of business regulation, or the director's designee.
(5) "Division of banking" means the division within the department of business regulation responsible for the supervision and examination of regulated institutions and/or licensees under chapter 14 of this title.
(6) "Federal credit union" means a credit union duly organized under the laws of the United States.
(7) "Financial institution" means any entity, other than a credit union, duly organized under the laws of this state that has the statutory authority to accept money on deposit pursuant to title 19, including an entity that is prohibited from accepting deposits by its own bylaws or agreement to form; the term includes, but is not limited to banks, trust companies, savings banks, loan and investment banks, and savings and loan associations.
(8) "Main office" means, in the case of financial institutions or credit unions, the location stated in the agreement to form, as amended, and, otherwise, the location recognized by the institution's primary banking regulator as its main office.
(9) "Person" means individuals, partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, or any other entity however organized.
(10) "Regulated institution" means any financial institution, credit union, or other insured-deposit-taking institution, that is authorized to do business in this state, including one authorized by operation of an interstate banking statute that allowed its original entry.
(11) "Retail installment contract" means any security agreement negotiated or executed in this state, or under the laws of this state, including, but not limited to, any agreement in the nature of a mortgage, conditional sale contract, or any other agreement whether or not evidenced by any written instrument to pay the retail purchase price of goods, or any part thereof, in installments over any period of time and pursuant to which any security interest is retained or taken by the retail seller for the payment of the purchase price, or any part thereof, of the retail installment contract.
(12) "Retail seller" means any person who sells or contracts to sell any goods under a retail installment contract to a retail buyer.
(13) "Superintendent" means the deputy director designated by the director as superintendent of banking in the department of business regulation.
(14) "Unimpaired capital" means the sum of all capital and allowance accounts minus estimated losses on assets, calculated in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
(15) "Writing" means hard copy writing or electronic writing that meets the requirements of § 42-127.1-2(7).
(P.L. 1995, ch. 82, § 38; P.L. 1997, ch. 98, § 1; P.L. 2003, ch. 174, § 1; P.L. 2003, ch. 178, § 1; P.L. 2013, ch. 50, § 1; P.L. 2013, ch. 57, § 1; P.L. 2014, ch. 106, § 1; P.L. 2014, ch. 125, § 1; P.L. 2016, ch. 512, art. 1, § 5.)