§ 2-6-2 Definitions.
When used in this chapter:
(1) "Advertisement" means all representations, other than those on the label, disseminated in any manner or by any means, relating to seed within the scope of this chapter.
(2) "Agricultural seed" means the seeds of grass, forage, cereal, and fiber crops and other kinds of seeds commonly recognized within this state as agricultural seeds, lawn seeds and mixtures of those seeds, and may include noxious weed seeds when the director determines that the seed is being used as agricultural seed.
(3) "Certifying agency" means:
(i) an agency authorized under the laws of a state, territory or possession to officially certify seed; or
(ii) an agency of a foreign country determined by the U.S. secretary of agriculture to adhere to procedures and standards for seed certification comparable to those adhered to generally by seed certifying agencies under (i).
(4) "Director" means the director of the department of environmental management of the state of Rhode Island and/or his or her authorized deputies or agents.
(5) The terms "Fine-textured grasses" and "Coarse kinds" are defined in rules and regulations under this chapter.
(6) "Hybrid" means the first generation seed of a cross produced by controlling the pollination and by combining: (1) two (2) or more inbred lines; (2) one inbred or a single cross with an open pollination variety; or (3) two (2) varieties or species, except open-pollinated varieties of corn (Zea mays). The second generation of subsequent generations from those crosses are not regarded as hybrids. Hybrid designations are treated as variety names.
(7) "Kind" means one or more related species or sub-species which, singly or collectively, is known by one common name, for example, corn, oats, alfalfa, and timothy.
(8) "Labeling" means all labels, and other written, printed, or graphic representations, in any form whatsoever, accompanying or pertaining to any seed whether in bulk or in containers, and includes representations on invoices.
(9) "Lot" means a definite quantity of seed identified by a lot number or other mark, every portion or bag of which is uniform within recognized tolerances for the factors which appear in the labeling.
(10) "Person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, company, society, or association.
(11) "Private hearing" may consist of a discussion of facts between the person charged and the director.
(12) "Prohibited noxious weed seeds" means the seeds of perennial weeds that not only reproduce by seed but also spread by underground roots, stems and other reproductive parts, and which, when well established, are highly destructive and difficult to control in this state by ordinary good cultural practice.
(13) "Pure Seed", "Germination", and other seed labeling and testing terms in common usage shall be defined as in the Rules for Testing Seeds published by the Association of Official Seed Analysts, effective July 1, 1955 and as subsequently amended.
(14) "Record" means all information relating to the shipment or shipments involved and includes a file sample of each lot of seed.
(15) "Restricted noxious weed seeds" means the seeds of weeds that are objectionable in fields, lawns, and gardens of this state, but can be controlled by good cultural practices.
(16) "Seize" means a legal process carried out by court order against a definite amount of seed.
(17) "Stop sale" means an administrative order, provided by law, restraining the sale, use, disposition, and movement of a definite amount of seed.
(18) "Treated" means given an application of a substance or subjected to a process designed to reduce, control, or repel disease organisms, insects, or other pests which attack seeds or seedlings growing therefrom.
(19) "Type" means a group of varieties so nearly similar that the individual varieties cannot be clearly differentiated except under special conditions.
(20) "Variety" means a subdivision of a kind characterized by growth, yield, plant, fruit, seed, or other characteristics, by which it can be differentiated from other plants of the same kind.
(21) "Vegetable seeds" means the seeds of those crops which are grown in gardens and on truck farms and are generally known and sold under the name of vegetable seeds in this state.
(22) "Weed seeds" means the seeds of all plants generally recognized as weeds within this state and includes noxious weed seeds.
(P.L. 1978, ch. 371, § 2; P.L. 1998, ch. 441, § 5.)