§ 20-2.1-3 Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Basic harvest and gear levels" means fishery-specific harvest and/or gear levels, established and regularly updated by the department by rule, which, in a manner consistent with the state or federally sanctioned management plans or programs that may be in effect, and to the extent possible given those plans and programs, provide a maximum level of participation for commercial fishing license holders in accordance with applicable endorsements.
(2) "Commercial fisherman" means a natural person who catches, harvests, or takes finfish, crustaceans, or shellfish from the marine waters for sale.
(3) "Council" means the marine fisheries council established by chapter 3 of this title.
(4) "Crustaceans" means lobsters, crabs, shrimp, and for purposes of this chapter it also includes horseshoe crabs.
(5) "Director" means the director of the department of environmental management.
(6) "Endorsement" means the designation of a fishery in which a license holder may participate at either basic or full harvest and gear levels. Endorsement categories and levels shall be established annually by the department by rule, based on the status of the various fisheries, the levels of participation of existing license holders, and the provisions of applicable management plans or programs. At a minimum, endorsement categories and endorsement opportunities shall include, but may not be limited to: non-lobster crustacean; lobster; non-quahaug shellfish; quahaug; non-restricted finfish; and restricted finfish. Endorsements, when available, shall be issued in accordance with applicable qualifying criteria.
(7) "Finfish" means cold-blooded aquatic vertebrates with fins, including fish, sharks, rays, skates, and eels and also includes, for the purposes of this chapter, squid.
(8) "Fisheries sectors" means and comprises crustaceans, finfish, shellfish, as defined in this section, each of which shall singularly be considered a fishery sector.
(9) "Full harvest and gear levels" means fishery-specific harvest and/or gear levels, established and regularly updated by the department by rule, which, in a manner consistent with the state or federally sanctioned management plans or programs that may be in effect, and to the extent possible given those plans and programs, provide a maximum level of participation for principal effort license holders in accordance with applicable endorsements and for all multi-purpose license holders.
(10) "Shellfish" means quahogs, clams, mussels, scallops, oysters, conches, and mollusks in general other than squid.
(11) "Student commercial fisherman" means a resident twenty-three (23) years of age or younger who is a full-time student.
(12) "February 28" means the twenty-eighth (28th) day in the month of February or the next business day if February 28 falls on a Saturday or Sunday for the purpose of application submittals and renewal deadlines.
(13) "Medical hardship" means a significant medical condition that prevents a license applicant from meeting the application requirements.
(14) "Grace period" means sixty (60) calendar days commencing February 28, as defined herein, and shall only apply to renewals of licenses from the immediately preceding year; provided, that for calendar year 2004 the grace period shall be ninety (90) calendar days commencing February 29, 2004.
(P.L. 2002, ch. 47, § 4; P.L. 2004, ch. 8, § 3; P.L. 2004, ch. 16, § 3.)