§ 20-8.1-1 Definitions.
Unless otherwise specifically provided in this chapter, the following definitions shall apply to this chapter:
(1) "Approved" means approved by the director;
(2) "Conditionally approved water" means and includes any shellfish grounds underlying waters examined and found fit for the taking of shellfish for human consumption on an intermittent basis, declared by the director as conditionally approved waters pursuant to §§ 20-8.1-3 and 20-8.1-4;
(3) "Department" means the state department of environmental management;
(4) "Director" means the director of the state department of environmental management or his or her duly appointed agents;
(5) "Person" means any individual, firm, copartnership, association, or private or municipal corporation;
(6)(i) "Polluted area" means and includes any shellfish grounds underlying waters examined and found to be unfit for the taking of shellfish for human consumption declared by the director as polluted areas pursuant to §§ 20-8.1-3 and 20-8.1-4;
(ii) For the purposes of any criminal or civil proceeding instituted under this chapter, a declaration by the director shall be prima facie evidence of a polluted area;
(7) "Shellfish" means and includes oysters, mussels, and all varieties of clams;
(8) "Shellfish grounds" means and includes all land underlying waters within the rise and fall of the tide and the marine limits of the jurisdiction of the state; and
(9) "Taking" means and includes the gathering, digging, raking, tonging, or dredging of shellfish.
(P.L. 1980, ch. 263, § 1; P.L. 1981, ch. 197, § 5; P.L. 1994, ch. 59, § 1.)