§ 21-28-4.04 Sale of hypodermic syringes and needles and retractable hypodermic syringes and needles.
(a) Hypodermic and retractable hypodermic syringes, needles, or any instrument adapted for the administration of drugs by injection shall not be sold except in licensed pharmacies. Every sale shall be made subject to the rules and regulations of the director of the department of health.
(b) The following conditions shall apply to all purchases of hypodermic and retractable hypodermic syringes or needles:
(1) Pharmacists shall make available to each purchaser at the time of purchase information regarding the safe disposal of hypodermic and retractable hypodermic syringes or needles, as promulgated by the Rhode Island resource recovery corporation, in conjunction with the department of health, including local disposal locations or a telephone number to call for that information;
(2) Pharmacists may also provide purchasers with information on drug addiction treatment, including a local telephone number to get assistance;
(3) The director of health shall adopt rules and regulations relative to the content, format, and distribution of any materials required under this section and any other matter necessary to effectuate the purposes of this section;
(4) At all licensed pharmacies where hypodermic and retractable hypodermic needles and syringes are kept for retail sale pursuant to this section, the needles and syringes shall be stored in a manner that makes them available only to authorized personnel and not openly available to customers;
(5) A registered pharmacy or licensed pharmacist that sells hypodermic and retractable hypodermic needles or syringes must certify to the director of the department of health participation in an activity that supports proper disposal of used hypodermic and retractable hypodermic needles or syringes.
(P.L. 1974, ch. 183, § 2; P.L. 1979, ch. 73, § 1; P.L. 1985, ch. 154, § 1; P.L. 1994, ch. 30, § 2; P.L. 1998, ch. 264, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 363, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 520, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 285, § 1.)