§ 21-31-11. Misbranded food.
A food shall be deemed to be misbranded:
(1) If its labeling is false or misleading in any way.
(2) If it is offered for sale under the name of another food.
(3) If it is an imitation of another food for which a definition and standard of identity have been prescribed by regulations as provided by § 21-31-9; or if it is an imitation of another food that is not subject to subdivision (7) of this section, unless its label bears in type of uniform size and prominence, the word, "imitation," and, immediately after it, the name of the food imitated.
(4) If its container is made, formed, or filled as to be misleading.
(5) If in package form, unless it bears a label containing: (i) the name and place of business of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor; (ii) an accurate statement of the quantity of the contents in terms of weight, measure, or numerical count; provided, that under paragraph (ii) of this subdivision reasonable variations shall be permitted, and exemptions as to small packages shall be established, by regulations prescribed by the director of health.
(6) If any word, statement, or other information required by or under authority of this chapter to appear on the label or labeling is not prominently placed on it with such conspicuousness (as compared with other words, statements, designs, or devices in the labeling) and in such terms as to render it likely to be read and understood by the ordinary individual under customary conditions of purchase and use.
(7) If it purports to be or is represented as a food for which a definition and standard of identity have been prescribed by regulations as provided by § 21-31-9, unless: (i) it conforms to the definition and standard, and (ii) its label bears the name of the food specified in the definition and standard, and, insofar as may be required by the regulations, the common names of optional ingredients (other than spices, flavoring, and coloring) present in the food.
(8) If it purports to be or is represented as:
(i) A food for which a standard of quality has been prescribed by regulations as provided by § 21-31-9 and its quality falls below that standard unless its label bears, in the manner and form that the regulations specify, a statement that it falls below the standard; or
(ii) A food for which a standard or standards of fill of container have been prescribed by regulation as provided by § 21-31-9 and it falls below the standard of fill of container applicable to it, unless its label bears, in the manner and form that the regulations specify, a statement that it falls below the standard.
(iii) Fresh uncooked meat or meat food product for human consumption which consists wholly or in part of refrozen meat unless it is clearly labeled as refrozen.
(9) If it is not subject to the provisions of subdivision (7) of this section, unless it bears labeling clearly giving: (i) the common or usual name of the food, if any, and (ii) in case it is fabricated from two (2) or more ingredients, the common or usual name of each ingredient; except that spices, flavorings, and colorings, other than those sold as such, may be designated as spices, flavorings, and colorings, without naming each; provided, that to the extent that compliance with the requirements of paragraph (ii) of this subdivision is impractical or results in deception or unfair competition, exemptions shall be established by regulations promulgated by the director of health; provided, that the requirements of paragraph (ii) of this subdivision shall not apply to any carbonated beverage, the ingredients of which have been fully and correctly disclosed, to the extent prescribed by paragraph (ii) of this subdivision, to the director of health in an affidavit.
(10) If it purports to be or is represented for special dietary uses, unless its label bears the information concerning its vitamin, mineral, and other dietary properties that the director of health determines to be, and by regulations prescribes, as necessary in order to fully inform purchasers as to its value for those uses.
(11) If it bears or contains any artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, or chemical preservative, unless it bears labeling stating that fact; provided, that to the extent that compliance with the requirements of this subdivision is impracticable, exemptions shall be established by regulations promulgated by the director of health.
(12) If it is a product intended as an ingredient of another food and when used according to the directions of the purveyor will result in the final food product being adulterated or misbranded.
(13) If its packaging or labeling is in violation of an applicable regulation issued pursuant to § 23-24.1-3 or 23-24.1-4 of the Poison Prevention Packaging Act.
(P.L. 1959, ch. 56, § 1; P.L. 1977, ch. 90, § 4; P.L. 1979, ch. 252, § 1.)