§ 23-12.7-3. Program established.
(a) Through funding from the Rhode Island Cancer Council, the Rhode Island department of health is required to establish a program of free mammography screening according to American Cancer Society standards, and, where required, follow-up, diagnostic testing, and case management for women in the state who are uninsured or underinsured.
(b) The screening program shall:
(1) Secure radiology facilities to participate in the screening program;
(2) Pay for screening mammograms;
(3) Ensure that screening results are sent directly to the patient in a timely manner;
(4) Provide diagnostic tests as required to diagnose breast cancer;
(5) Provide case management facilitating appropriate contact to breast surgeons, medical oncologists, and radiation oncologists; and
(6) Provide follow-up support to women who are found to have breast cancer as a result of this screening program.
(c) The director of the Rhode Island department of health is required to provide a quarterly report to the general assembly on the program of free mammography screening, follow up diagnostic testing and case management, and public education. An advisory committee concerned with advocacy, outreach, and public education shall meet on a quarterly basis and report to the director.
(P.L. 2000, ch. 277, § 1.)