§ 23-14-2 Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following words shall be construed as follows unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Child with special health care needs" means any minor under the age of eighteen (18) who is a domiciled resident of the state who suffers from a chronic medical illness.
(2) "Eligible organization(s)" means the following Rhode Island based organizations and Rhode Island affiliates of the following national organizations:
(i) American Diabetes Association, R.I. Affiliate, Inc.;
(ii) R.I. Lung Association, Inc.;
(iii) Arthritis Foundation, R.I. Chapter;
(iv) American Cancer Society, R.I. Division, Inc.;
(v) Hospice Care of R.I., Inc.;
(vi) Leukemia Society of R.I., Inc., R.I. Chapter;
(vii) Easter Seal Society of R.I., Inc.;
(viii) R.I. Society to Prevent Blindness;
(ix) United Cerebral Palsy of R.I.;
(x) R.I. Hemophilia Foundation;
(xi) American Heart Association, R.I. Affiliate, Inc.;
(xii) Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, R.I. Chapter;
(xiii) National Foundation of Ileitis & Colitis;
(xiv) Mental Health Association of R.I.;
(xv) Muscular Dystrophy Association, Inc.;
(xvi) National Multiple Sclerosis Society; and
(xvii) RI Arc.
(3) "Eligible services" means the direct provision of medicines, medical equipment and supplies, medical treatment or care to children with special health care needs, and travel expenses including transportation, meals, and lodging of children with special health care needs and their families when it is necessary for the child to receive medical treatment at an out-of-state medical treatment facility. The term "eligible services" shall not include any financial costs related to administration, promotion, education, or personnel related to the provision of eligible services or any other services which may be provided by a qualified organization. "Eligible services" shall also not include any tangible or intangible items which are not provided directly to children with special health care needs.
(4) "Emergency services" means eligible services which would normally be provided for by a health insurance program or a publicly funded assistance program, but for any reason are not immediately available to the child with special health care needs. The term "emergency services" also means the provision of eligible services on an emergency only basis to a child with special health care needs who is not a domiciled resident of the state.
(5) "Qualified organization(s)" means eligible organizations which have submitted applications to the general treasurer and have been certified for the application year by the general treasurer as provided by the provisions of this chapter.
(P.L. 1989, ch. 384, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 83, § 48; P.L. 1999, ch. 130, § 48.)