§ 23-17.27-1. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "After-care" means any assistance provided by a caregiver to a patient under this chapter after the patient's discharge from a hospital that is related to the patient's condition at the time of discharge. Such assistance may include, but is not limited to, assisting with basic activities of daily living (ADLs), instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs), or other tasks as determined to be appropriate by the discharging physician or other health care professional.
(2) "Caregiver" means any individual duly designated as a caregiver by a patient under this chapter who provides after-care assistance to a patient living in his or her residence. A designated caregiver may include, but is not limited to, a relative, partner, friend, or neighbor who has a significant relationship with the patient.
(3) "Discharge" means a patient's exit or release from a hospital to the patient's residence following an inpatient admission.
(4) "Entry" means a patient's admission into a hospital for the purposes of medical care.
(5) "Hospital" means a facility licensed under Rhode Island statute.
(6) "Patient" means a patient eighteen (18) years of age or older.
(7) "Residence" means a dwelling that the patient considers to be his or her home. A "residence" for the purposes of this chapter shall not include any rehabilitation facility, hospital, nursing home, assisted-living facility, or group home licensed by Rhode Island.
(P.L. 2015, ch. 95, § 1; P.L. 2015, ch. 115, § 1.)