§ 23-17-10.3. Special care unit disclosure by facilities.
(a) Any nursing facility which offers to provide or provides care for patients or residents with Alzheimer's disease or other dementia by means of an Alzheimer's special care unit shall be required to disclose the form of care or treatment provided, in addition to that care and treatment required by the rules and regulations for the licensing of nursing facilities. That disclosure shall be made to the licensing agency and to any person seeking placement in an Alzheimer's special care unit of a nursing facility. The information disclosed shall explain the additional care provided in each of the following areas:
(1) Philosophy. The Alzheimer's special care unit's written statement of its overall philosophy and mission which reflects the needs of residents with dementia.
(2) Pre-admission, admission, and discharge. The process and criteria for placement, transfer or discharge from the unit.
(3) Assessment, care planning, and implementation. The process used for assessment and establishing the plan of care and its implementation, including the method by which the plan of care evolves and is responsive to changes in condition.
(4) Staffing patterns and training ratios. Staff training and continuing education practices.
(5) Physical environment. The physical environment and design features appropriate to support the functioning of cognitively impaired adult residents.
(6) Residents' activities. The frequency and types of resident activities.
(7) Family role in care. The involvement of families and family support programs.
(8) Program costs. The cost of care and any additional fees.
(b) The licensing agency shall develop a standard disclosure form and shall review the information provided on the disclosure form by the nursing facility to verify the accuracy of the information reported on it. Any significant changes in the information provided by the nursing facility will be reported to the licensing agency at the time the changes are made.
(P.L. 1990, ch. 237, § 2; P.L. 1993, ch. 264, § 2; P.L. 1999, ch. 83, § 49; P.L. 1999, ch. 130, § 49.)