§ 23-19.7-8. Siting agreements.
(a) The local siting agreement shall specify the terms, conditions, and provisions under which a hazardous waste management facility shall be sited, constructed, operated, maintained and/or altered, including, but not limited to, the following terms, conditions, and provisions:
(1) Facility construction, maintenance, closure, and post-closure procedures;
(2) Operating procedures and practices, the design of the facility and its associated activities;
(3) Monitoring procedures and practices necessary to assure and continue to demonstrate that the facility will be operated safely;
(4) The services to be provided the developer by the host community;
(5) The compensation, services, and special benefits that will be provided to the host community by the developer, and the timing and conditions of their provision;
(6) Any provisions for tax prepayments or accelerated payments, or for payments in lieu of taxes;
(7) Provisions for renegotiation of any of the terms, conditions, or provisions of the siting agreement subject to the provisions of this chapter;
(8) Provisions for resolving any disagreements in the construction and interpretation of the siting agreement that may arise between the parties;
(9) Provisions for direct monetary payments from the developer to the host community in addition to payments for taxes and special services and compensation for demonstrable adverse impacts;
(10) Provisions to assure the health, safety, comfort, convenience, and social and economic security of the host community and its citizens;
(11) Provisions to assure the continuing economic viability of the project;
(12) Provisions to assure the protection of the environment and natural resources including existing and potential drinking water sources; and
(13) Provisions for reimbursement by the developer to the host community of reasonable costs associated with assessment, negotiation, and arbitration of a siting agreement.
(b) The local siting agreement shall specify the terms, conditions, and provisions, if any, under which it may be assigned to a party other than the signatory developer.
(c) The duration of a siting agreement shall be negotiable, but in no case may it exceed twenty (20) years, at which time it shall be open to renegotiation at the initiative of either party.
(P.L. 1982, ch. 197, § 1.)