§ 23-23.1-3. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall, where context permits, be construed as follows:
(1) "Air contaminant" means soot, cinders, ashes, any dust, fumes, gas, mist, smoke, vapor, odor, toxic, or radioactive material, particulate matter, or any combination of these.
(2) "Air pollution" means presence in the outdoor atmosphere of one or more air contaminants in sufficient quantities, which either alone or in connection with other emissions, by reason of their concentration and duration may be injurious to human, plant or animal life, or cause damage to property or which unreasonably interfere with the enjoyment of life and property.
(3) "Air pollution episode" means the condition of an air pollution alert, an air pollution warning, or an air pollution emergency, and these conditions shall be deemed to exist whenever the director of environmental management determines that the accumulation of air contaminants in any area or place in the state is attaining or has attained levels which could, if those levels are sustained or exceeded, lead to a threat to the health of the public.
(4) "Area" means not only that portion or portions of the state as shall be described in the air pollution episode declaration of the governor, but also to any other portion or portions of the state where activities are carried on which contribute or may contribute to the air pollution episode in the portion or portions of the state described in the governor's declaration.
(5) "Director" means the director of environmental management or any subordinate or subordinates to whom the director has delegated the powers and duties vested in him or her by this chapter.
(6) "Person" means any individual, trust, firm, joint stock company, corporation (including a quasi-governmental corporation), partnership, association, syndicate, municipality, municipal or state agency, fire district, club, non-profit agency, or any subdivision, commission, department, bureau, agency, or department of state or federal government (including quasi-government corporation), or any interstate body.
(P.L. 1971, ch. 137, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 23-25.1-3; P.L. 1979, ch. 39, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 23-23.1-3; P.L. 1980, ch. 24, § 3.)