§ 23-24.1-2 Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) "Director" means the director of health.
(2) "Federal act" means the Poison Prevention Packaging Act of 1970, 15 U.S.C. § 1471 et seq., and its subsequent amendments.
(3) "Household substance" means any substance which is customarily produced or distributed for sale for consumption or use, or customarily stored, by individuals in or about the household and which is:
(i) A hazardous substance as that term is defined in § 23-24-2(6);
(ii) A pesticide as that term is defined in § 23-25-4(29);
(iii) A food, drug, device or cosmetic as those terms are defined in § 21-31-2;
(iv) A substance intended for use as fuel when stored in a portable container and used in the heating, cooking, or refrigeration system of a house.
(4) "Labeling" means all labels and other written, printed, or graphic matter:
(i) Upon any household substance or its package; or
(ii) Accompanying such substance.
(5) "Package" means the immediate container or wrapping in which any household substance is contained for consumption, use, or storage by individuals in or about the household, and, for purposes of § 23-24.1-4(a)(2), also means any outer container or wrapping used in the retail display of that substance to consumers. The term does not include:
(i) Any shipping container or wrapping used solely for the transportation of any household substance in bulk or in quantity to manufacturers, packers, or processors, or to wholesale or retail distributors of this household substance; or
(ii) Any shipping container or outer wrapping used by retailers to ship or deliver any household substance to consumers unless it is the only container or wrapping.
(6) "Special packaging" means packaging that is designed or constructed to be significantly difficult for children under five (5) years of age to open or obtain a toxic or harmful amount of the substance contained in it within a reasonable time and not difficult for normal adults to use properly, but does not mean packaging which these children cannot open or obtain a toxic or harmful amount within a reasonable time.
(P.L. 1977, ch. 90, § 2; G.L. 1956, § 23-38.2-2; P.L. 1979, ch. 39, § 1; P.L. 1981, ch. 72, § 1; P.L. 1989, ch. 542, § 53.)