§ 23-24.10-1. Purpose.
The purposes of this act are:
(1) To establish a manufacturer financed system for the collection, recycling, and reuse program for covered electronic products in Rhode Island;
(2) To develop a comprehensive strategy, with the participation of state agencies, producers, processors and consumers, for waste prevention and reduction of covered electronic products in the state, which addresses the collection, recycling and reuse of covered electronic products from all covered electronic product generators in the state and that ensures the safe and environmentally sound handling, reuse and recycling of covered electronic products;
(3) To promote the development of state infrastructure for the reuse and recycling of used electronics;
(4) To eliminate waste generated in the state from covered electronic products from landfill and incinerator disposal; and
(5) To encourage the design of covered electronic products that are less toxic, more durable and more recyclable.
(P.L. 2006, ch. 365, § 1; P.L. 2006, ch. 447, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 105, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 126, § 1.)