§ 23-24.12-2 Management of unused architectural paint Definitions.
(1) "Architectural paint" means interior and exterior architectural coatings sold in containers of five (5) gallons or less. Architectural paint does not include industrial, original equipment or specialty coatings.
(2) "Department" means the department of environmental management.
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of environmental management.
(4) "Distributor" means a company that has a contractual relationship with one or more producers to market and sell architectural paint to retailers in this state.
(5) "Environmentally sound management practices" means procedures for the collection, storage, transportation, reuse, recycling and disposal of architectural paint, to be implemented by the representative organization or such representative organization's contracted partners to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances and the protection of human health and the environment. Environmentally sound management practices include, but are not limited to, record keeping, the tracking and documenting of the use and disposition of post- consumer paint in and outside of this state, and environmental liability coverage for professional services and for the operations of the contractors working on behalf of the representative organization.
(6) "Paint stewardship assessment" means the amount added to the purchase price of architectural paint sold in this state that is necessary to cover the cost of collecting, transporting and processing post-consumer paint by the representative organization pursuant to the paint stewardship program.
(7) "Post-consumer paint" means architectural paint that is not used and that is no longer wanted by a purchaser of architectural paint.
(8) "Producer" means a manufacturer of architectural paint who sells, offers for sale, distributes or contracts to distribute architectural paint in this state.
(9) "Recycling" means any process by which discarded products, components and by- products are transformed into new, usable or marketable materials in a manner in which the original products may lose their identity.
(10) "Representative organization" means the nonprofit organization created by producers to implement the paint stewardship program described in § 23-24.11-3.
(11) "Retailer" means any person who offers architectural paint for sale at retail in this state.
(12) "Reuse" means the return of a product into the economic stream for use in the same kind of application as the product was originally intended to be used, without a change in the product's identity.
(13) "Sell" or "sale" means any transfer of title for consideration including, but not limited to, remote sales conducted through sales outlets, catalogues, the Internet or any other similar electronic means.
(P.L. 2012, ch. 442, § 1; P.L. 2012, ch. 484, § 1.)