§ 23-24.9-3. Definitions. [Effective until January 1, 2020.]
For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) "Component" means a mercury-added product that is incorporated into another product to form a fabricated mercury-added product, including, but not limited to, electrical switches and lamps.
(2) "Department" means the department of environmental management.
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of environmental management or any subordinate or subordinates to whom the director has delegated the powers and duties vested in him or her by this chapter.
(4) "Fabricated mercury-added product" means a product that consists of a combination of individual components that combine to make a single unit, including, but not limited to, mercury-added measuring devices, lamps, and switches to which mercury or a mercury compound is intentionally added in order to provide a specific characteristic, appearance, or quality, or to perform a specific function or for any other reason.
(5) "Formulated mercury-added product" means a product that includes, but is not limited to, laboratory chemicals, cleaning products, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and coating materials that are sold as a consistent mixture of chemicals to which mercury or a mercury compound is intentionally added in order to provide a specific characteristic, appearance, or quality, or to perform a specific function or for any other reason.
(6) "Healthcare facility" means any hospital, nursing home, extended-care facility, long-term-care facility, clinical or medical laboratory, state or private health or mental institution, clinic, physician's office, or health maintenance organization.
(7) "Manufacturer" means any person, firm, association, partnership, corporation, governmental entity, organization, combination, or joint venture that produces a mercury-added product or an importer or domestic distributor of a mercury-added product produced in a foreign country. In the case of a multi-component, mercury-added product, the manufacturer is the last manufacturer to produce or assemble the product. If the multi-component product is produced in a foreign country, the manufacturer is the importer or domestic distributor. In the case of mercury-containing thermostats, the manufacturer is the original equipment manufacturer who or that sells or sold a mercury-containing thermostat under a brand or label the manufacturer owns, or is or was licensed to use a mercury-containing thermostat produced by other suppliers.
(8) "Mercury-added button cell battery" means a button cell battery to which the manufacturer intentionally introduces mercury for the operation of the battery.
(9) "Mercury-added novelty" means a mercury-added product intended mainly for personal or household enjoyment or adornment. Mercury-added novelties include, but are not limited to, items intended for use as figurines, adornments, toys, games, cards, ornaments, yard statues and figures, candles, jewelry, holiday decorations, items of apparel (including footwear), or similar products.
(10) "Mercury-added product" means a product, commodity, chemical, or a product with a component that contains mercury or a mercury compound intentionally added to the product, commodity, chemical, or component in order to provide a specific characteristic, appearance, or quality, or to perform a specific function or for any other reason. These products include formulated mercury-added products and fabricated mercury-added products.
(11) "Mercury fever thermometer" means a mercury-added product that is used for measuring body temperature.
(12) "Mercury-containing thermostat" means a product or device that uses a mercury switch to sense and control room temperature through communication with heating, ventilating, or air-conditions equipment. "Mercury-containing thermostat" includes thermostats used to sense and control room temperature in residential, commercial, industrial, and other buildings, but does not include a thermostat used to sense and control temperature as part of a manufacturing process.
(13) "Person" means an individual, trust, firm, joint stock company, corporation (including a government corporation), partnership, association, the federal government or any agency or subdivision thereof, a state, municipality, commission, political subdivision of a state, or any interstate body.
(14) "Thermostat retailer" means a person or entity who or that sells thermostats of any kind directly to homeowners or other nonprofessionals through any selling or distribution mechanism, including, but not limited to, sales using the internet or catalogues. A retailer may also be a wholesaler if it meets the definition of wholesaler.
(15) "Thermostat wholesaler" means a person or entity engaged in the distribution and wholesale sale of thermostats and other heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning components to contractors who install heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning components.
(16) "Contractor" means a person engaged in the business of installation, service, or removal of heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning components.
(17) "Qualified contractor" means a person engaged in the business of installation, service, or removal of heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning components who employs seven (7) or more service technicians or installers or who is located in an area outside of an urban area, as defined by the United States bureau of the census.
(18) "Local government collections" means collections completed by household hazardous waste facilities, solid waste management agencies, environmental management agencies, or the department of health.
(P.L. 2001, ch. 234, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 318, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 131, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 145, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 451, § 11.)