§ 23-25.5-3. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Assisted living residence" has the same meaning as such term is defined in § 23-17.4-2 and the regulations promulgated thereunder.
(2) "Blister packages" means multi-dose containers of a specific medication repackaged by the pharmacy in accordance with section 13.7 of the regulations promulgated under chapter 19.1 of title 5 and intended for a specific patient.
(3) "Department" means the department of health.
(4) "Healthcare prescriber" means any of the following persons licensed and authorized to prescribe drugs or to provide medical, dental, or other health-related diagnoses, care or treatment within the scope of their professional license:
(i) A physician holding a current license to practice medicine pursuant to chapter 37 of title 5;
(ii) A certified registered nurse practitioner licensed pursuant to chapter 34 of title 5;
(iii) A physician assistant licensed pursuant to chapter 54 of title 5;
(iv) A dentist licensed pursuant to chapter 31.1 of title 5;
(v) An optometrist licensed pursuant to chapter 35 of title 5;
(vi) A pharmacist licensed pursuant to chapter 19.1 of title 5;
(vii) A nurse midwife licensed pursuant to chapter 13 of title 23; and
(viii) A psychiatric and mental health clinical nurse specialist licensed pursuant to chapter 34 of title 5.
(5) "Pharmacy" means that portion or part of a premises where prescriptions are compounded and dispensed including that portion utilized for the storage of prescription or legend drugs.
(6) "Prescription drug" means a drug that may be dispensed only upon prescription by a healthcare prescriber authorized by his or her licensing authority and as defined in chapter 5-19.1.
(7) "Unit-dose container" is one that is designed to hold a quantity of a drug intended for use as a single dose and used promptly after the container is opened. The immediate container, and/or the outer container or protective packaging shall be designed to show evidence of any tampering with the contents. Each individual container shall be fully identifiable containing a single dose of a single entity and shall protect the integrity of the dosage form. Labeling shall be in accordance with USP standards compendia and federal and state law and shall include the identity, quantity, and strength of the product, name of the manufacturer, and lot number and expiration date of the article.
(8) "Wholesaler" means a person who buys drugs or devices for resale and distribution to corporations, individuals, or entities other than consumers.
(P.L. 2013, ch. 331, § 2.)