§ 23-34.1-3. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Altered ride" means a ride or device that has been altered with the approval of the manufacturer.
(2) "Amusement attraction" means any building or structure around, over, or through which persons may move to walk, without the aid of any moving device integral to the building or structure, which provides amusement, pleasure, thrills, or excitement. Excluded are air structures ("moonwalks"), arenas, stadiums, theatres, nonmechanical amusement structures commonly located in or around day care centers, schools, commercial establishments, malls, fast food restaurants, and convention halls. This does not include enterprises principally devoted to the exhibition of products of agriculture, industry, education, science, religion, or the arts.
(3) "Amusement ride" means any mechanical device which carries, suspends or conveys passengers along, around, or over a fixed or restricted route or course or within a defined area, for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills, or excitement. For the purposes of this act, any dry slide over twenty (20) feet in height is also included. This term shall not include hayrides (whether pulled by motor vehicle or horse), any coin-operated ride that is manually, mechanically or electrically operated and customarily placed in a public location and that does not normally require the supervision or services of an operator or nonmechanical devices with nonmoving parts, including, but not limited to, walk-through amusement attractions, slides, and air structures ("moonwalks").
(4) "Bazaar" means an enterprise principally devoted to the exhibition of products of crafts and art, to which the operation of amusement rides or devices or concession booths is an adjunct.
(5) "Carnival" means a transient enterprise offering amusement or entertainment to the public in, upon or by means of amusement devices, rides or concession booths.
(6) "Certificate to operate" means that document which indicates that the temporary amusement device has undergone the inspection required after setup. It shall show the date of inspection, the location of the inspection, the name of the inspector, and the maximum amount of weight allowed per car or rideable unit.
(7) "Commissioner" means the state building commissioner.
(8) "Department" means the department of administration.
(9) "Director" means the director of the department of administration.
(10) "Fair" means an enterprise principally devoted to the exhibition of products of agriculture or industry, to which the operation of amusement rides or devices or concession booths is an adjunct.
(11) "Home-made ride or device" means a ride or device that was not manufactured by a recognized ride or device manufacturer or any ride or device which has been substantially altered without the approval of the manufacturer.
(12) "Inspection" means the physical examination of an amusement ride or device made by the commissioner, or his authorized representative, prior to operating the amusement device for the purpose of approving the application for a license.
(13) "Kiddie ride" means a device designed primarily to carry a specific number of children in a fixture suitable for conveying children up to forty-two inches (42") in height or ride manufacturer specifications.
(14) "Major alteration" means a change in the type, capacity, structure or mechanism of an amusement device. This includes any change that would require approval of the ride manufacturer or an engineer.
(15) "Major ride" means a device designed to carry a specific maximum number of passengers, adults and children, in a fixture suitable for conveying persons.
(16) "Manager" means a person having possession, custody, or managerial control of an amusement device, amusement attraction, or temporary structure, whether as owner, lessee, or agent or otherwise.
(17) "Owner" means the person or persons holding title to, or having possession or control of the amusement ride or device or concession booth.
(18) "Permanent amusement ride" means an amusement ride which is erected to remain a lasting part of the premises.
(19) "Permit" means that document which signifies that the amusement device or amusement attraction has undergone and passed its annual inspection. The department shall affix a decal which clearly shows the month and year of expiration.
(20) "Qualified licensed engineer" means a licensed mechanical engineer who has at least five (5) years of experience in his or her field and has experience in amusement ride inspection.
(21) "Reinspection" means an inspection which is made at any time after the initial inspection.
(22) "Repair" means to restore an amusement ride to a condition equal to or better than the original design specifications.
(23) "Ride file jacket" means a file concerning an individual amusement ride or device which contains nondestructive test reports on the testing firm's official letterhead; the name of the ride, the manufacturer and date of manufacture; maintenance records; records of any alterations; ride serial number; daily check lists and engineer's reports and proof of insurance. Non-destructive test reports shall not be required on any rides which are nonmechanical and which are not provided by the manufacturer with said amusement ride.
(24) "Ride operator" means the person in charge of an amusement ride or device and who causes the amusement ride or device to operate.
(25) "Serious injury" means an injury requiring a minimum of one overnight stay in a hospital for treatment or observation.
(26) "Stop order" means any order issued by an inspector for the temporary cessation of a ride or device.
(27) "Temporary amusement device" means a device which is used as an amusement device or amusement attraction that is regularly relocated from time to time, with or without disassembly.
(P.L. 1997, ch. 79, § 2; P.L. 2002, ch. 317, § 1.)