§ 23-39-2. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the administrative board of respiratory care;
(2) "Department" means the Rhode Island department of health;
(3) "Director" means the director of the Rhode Island health department;
(4) "Division" means the division of professional regulation;
(5) "Respiratory care" (including respiratory therapy and inhalation therapy) means a health professional, under qualified medical direction, employed in the therapy, management, rehabilitation, diagnostic evaluation, and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities which affect the cardiopulmonary system and associated aspects of other system function;
(6) "Respiratory care practitioner" means a person who is licensed to practice respiratory care in Rhode Island. The respiratory care practitioner may transcribe and implement a physician's written and verbal orders pertaining to the practice of respiratory care as defined in this chapter; and
(7) "Respiratory care training program" means a program accredited or recognized by the commission on accreditation of allied health education programs in collaboration with the committee on accreditation for respiratory care or any other accrediting agency that may be approved by the board.
(P.L. 1986, ch. 428, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 172, § 1.)