§ 23-61-3. Definitions.
For purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Department" means the state department of health.
(2) "Director" means the director of health.
(3) "High priority building" means any public building or public, private and/or parochial schools (grades pre-K to 12), day care centers, and nurseries.
(4) "New construction" means any erection of a building, structure or part thereof not defined as a renovation for the purposes of this chapter.
(5) "Owner" means the person having legal title to property and/or buildings. For purposes of publicly owned property only, the owner shall be defined to be the chief executive officer of the state or municipal agency which owns, leases or controls the use of the property.
(6) "Person" means any individual, corporation, partnership, firm, association, trust, estate, public or private institution, group, agency, political subdivision of this state, and other state or political subdivision or agency thereof, and any legal successor, representative, agent or agency of the foregoing.
(7) "Public building" means any building owned, managed, leased, furnished, or occupied by a state or municipal agency or commission or public school.
(8) "Radon" means the radioactive noble gas radon 222.
(9) "Radon progeny" means the short-lived radionuclides formed as a result of the decay of Radon 222, including Polonium 218, Bismuth 214, lead 214 and Polonium 214.
(10) "Radon/radon progeny mitigation" means any actions or measures taken and any materials or equipment installed, the purpose of which is to reduce levels of radon gas and/or radon progeny in the air or water supply of a building, or to prevent entry of radon or radon progeny into the indoor atmosphere.
(11) "Renovation" means an extension or increase in floor area or height of a building or structure; or a change or rearrangement in the structural parts or in the means of egress; or an enlargement, whether by extending on a side or by increasing in height; or the moving from one location or position to another; or the reconstruction or renewal of any part of an existing building for the purpose of its maintenance. Ordinary repairs, as defined by the state building code, shall be considered as renovations for the purposes of this chapter.
(12) "Residential construction" means any building, structure, or parts thereof in which families or households live, or in which sleeping accommodations are provided (with or without dining facilities), excluding those that are classified as institutional buildings, and which is designated within state building code use groups R-2, R-3 or R-4.
(13) "State building code" means chapter 27.3 of title 23.
(14) "Under roof floor space" means the gross constructed floor area covered by a roof that provides shelter, plus any area adjacent to but outside of the enclosing walls that has a constructed floor and is covered by a sheltering roof contiguous with the building. This shall include the gross floor area of each floor of a multiple story building. Walkways are not included in this definition.
(P.L. 1992, ch. 216, § 2.)