§ 23-65-3. Powers and duties of the board.
The board established in this chapter shall have the following duties and powers:
(1) Adopt and amend such rules and regulations with the approval of the director as they deem necessary to carry out the provisions of this chapter;
(2) Classify all public water supply treatment facilities as to their size and type and establish specifications for certification of operators of each class of public water supply treatment facility and transmission and distribution system;
(3) Determine by examinations, and from the applicant's training and experience, the class and type of certificate, if any, the applicant will be issued;
(4) When taking action with regard to subdivisions (1) and (2), consider generally applicable criteria, regulations and guidelines developed by the association of boards of certification for operating personnel in water utilities;
(5) Direct the director of health to issue certificates to duly qualified applicants;
(6) Investigate complaints and charges of unprofessional conduct against any certified operator;
(7) Direct the director of health to revoke, suspend, or implement other disciplinary action with respect to person issued certifications under this chapter;
(8) Keep records of its proceedings and of all applications for certification;
(9) Encourage all operators to attend classes, seminars, and/or other educational programs periodically to keep abreast of changes and advances in the fields of water supply treatment, operation and management;
(10) Work with the state department of elementary and secondary education to establish various levels of training courses, seminars, and/or other educational programs.
(P.L. 1995, ch. 190, § 1; P.L. 1995, ch. 201, § 1.)