§ 23-83-2 Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms are defined as follows:
(1) "Mixed bank" is a bank that maintains a supply of unrelated cord blood units philanthropically donated by transplantation or research purposes to unrelated recipients and also for a fee stores cord blood for autologous use and use by family members.
(2) "Obstetrical professional or facility" is licensed health care providers, including, but not limited to, hospitals, birthing centers, health clinics, midwives, obstetricians and other physicians who provide obstetrical services.
(3) "Private cord blood bank" is a bank that for a fee stores cord blood units for autologous or family use.
(4) "Public cord blood bank" is a bank that maintains a supply of unrelated cord blood units that are philanthropically donated for transplantation or research purposes. This bank may also store a limited number of units for autologous or family use when a disease that is treatable by cord blood transplantation is known to exist within the donor's family.
(5) "Umbilical cord blood" is the blood that remains in the umbilical cord and placenta after the birth of a newborn child.
(P.L. 2008, ch. 101, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 153, § 1; P.L. 2012, ch. 415, § 31.)