Laying Out and Taking by Cities and Towns

SECTION 24-1-8

§ 24-1-8. Assessment of damages by court.

Any owner of, or person entitled to any estate or right in, or interested in any part of the real property so taken, who cannot agree with the city or town council upon the price to be paid for his or her estate, right or interest in such real property so taken and the appurtenant damage to the remainder, may, within one year from the time the sum of money estimated to be just compensation is deposited in the superior court to the use of the persons entitled thereto, apply by petition to the superior court for the county in which the real property is situated, setting forth the taking of his or her land or estate or interest therein and praying for an assessment of damages by the court or by a jury. Upon the filing of a petition the court shall cause twenty (20) days' notice of the pendency thereof to be given to the city or town by serving the city or town clerk with a certified copy of the petition.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1962, ch. 216, § 1.)