§ 27-1.1-4. Rules and regulations.
(a) The commissioner may adopt reasonable rules and regulations implementing the provisions of this law.
(b) The commissioner is further authorized to adopt rules and regulations applicable to reinsurance arrangements described in subsection (b)(1) of this section.
(1) A regulation adopted pursuant to this section may apply only to reinsurance relating to:
(i) Life insurance policies with guaranteed nonlevel gross premiums or guaranteed nonlevel benefits;
(ii) Universal life insurance policies with provisions resulting in the ability of a policyholder to keep a policy in force over a secondary guarantee period;
(iii) Variable annuities with guaranteed death or living benefits;
(iv) Long-term-care insurance policies; or
(v) Other life and health insurance and annuity products as to which the NAIC adopts model regulatory requirements with respect to credit for reinsurance.
(2) A regulation adopted pursuant to subsection (b)(1)(i) or (b)(1)(ii) of this section may apply to any treaty containing:
(i) Policies issued on or after January 1, 2015; and
(ii) Policies issued prior to January 1, 2015, if risk pertaining to the pre-2015 policies is ceded in connection with the treaty, in whole or in part, on or after January 1, 2015.
(3) A regulation adopted pursuant to subsection (b) of this section may require the ceding insurer, in calculating the amounts or forms of security required to be held under regulations promulgated under this authority, to use the Valuation Manual adopted by the NAIC under Section 11B(1) of the NAIC Standard Valuation Law, including all amendments adopted by the NAIC and in effect on the date as which the calculation is made, to the extent applicable.
(4) A regulation adopted pursuant to subsection (b) of this section shall not apply to cessions to an assuming insurer that:
(i) Is certified in this state; or
(ii) Maintains at least two hundred fifty million dollars ($250,000,000) in capital and surplus when determined in accordance with the NAIC Accounting Practices and Procedures Manual, including all amendments thereto adopted by the NAIC, excluding the impact of any permitted or prescribed practices; and is:
(A) Licensed in at least twenty-six (26) states; or
(B) Licensed in at least ten (10) states, and licensed or accredited in a total of at least thirty-five (35) states.
(5) The authority to adopt regulations pursuant to subsection (b) of this section does not limit the commissioner's general authority to adopt regulations pursuant to subsection (a) of this section.
(P.L. 1991, ch. 257, § 1; P.L. 1991, ch. 348, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 292, § 6; P.L. 2017, ch. 389, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 434, § 1.)