§ 27-14.3-12 Return of summons and summary hearing.
(a) The court shall hold a summary hearing at the time and date for the return of summons.
(b) If a person is not served with summons and fails to appear for the summary hearing, the court shall:
(1) Continue the summary hearing not more than ten (10) days;
(2) Provide for alternative service of summons upon the person; and
(3) Extend any restraining order.
(c) Upon a showing of good faith efforts to effect personal service upon a person who has failed to appear for a continued summary hearing, the court shall order notice of the petition to be published. The order and notice shall specify a return date not less than ten (10) nor more than twenty (20) days after the publication and that the restraining order has been extended to the continued hearing date.
(d) If a person fails to appear for a summary hearing after service of summons, the court shall enter a judgment in favor of the commissioner against that person.
(e) A person who appears for the summary hearing shall file its answer at the hearing and the court shall:
(1) Determine whether to extend any temporary restraining orders pending final judgment; and
(2) Set the case for trial on a date not more than ten (10) days from the summary hearing.
(f) The court shall grant no continuance for filing an answer.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 248, § 1.)