§ 27-17-4. Declaration filed by attorney Requirements for admission.
The attorney shall file with the insurance commissioner, referred to in this chapter as the "commissioner", a declaration verified by the oath of the attorney, or when the attorney is a corporation, by the oath of its president or oaths of its treasurer and secretary setting forth:
(1) The name of the attorney and the name or designation of the exchange under which the contracts are to be issued, which name or designation shall not be so similar to any other name or designation previously adopted by an attorney or by any insurance organization in this state so as to confuse or mislead;
(2) The kind or kinds of insurance to be effected or exchanged;
(3) A copy of the form of policy contract or agreement under or by which the insurance is to be effected or exchanged and forms of application for that insurance;
(4) A certified copy of the power of attorney or other authorization of the attorney under or by which the attorney is to effect or exchange the insurance contracts;
(5) The location of the office or offices from which the contracts or agreements are to be issued;
(6)(i) That, except as to the kinds of insurance specifically mentioned in this subdivision, applications have been made for insurance upon at least one hundred (100) separate risks, the liability to the exchange for premiums due on the risks shall aggregate not less than six hundred thousand dollars ($600,000), represented by executed contracts or bona fide applications to become concurrently effective, or, in lieu of this amount, the exchange or interinsurer is possessed of a surplus of not less than three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000). The minimum amount of surplus established as a requirement for the writing of other lines of insurance as specified in this section shall be in addition to that required by the provisions of this subdivision;
(ii) In the case of employers' liability or workers' compensation insurance, applications shall have been made for indemnity upon at least one hundred (100) separate risks having a total annual premium of not less than two million five hundred thousand dollars ($2,500,000), as represented by executed contracts or bona fide applications to become concurrently effective, or, in lieu of this amount, the exchange or interinsurer is possessed of a surplus of not less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000);
(iii) In the case of automobile insurance, applications shall have been made for insurance for at least two hundred (200) separate risks, or for insurance the premiums due the exchange on the risks shall aggregate not less than two hundred thousand dollars ($200,000) represented by executed contracts or bona fide applications to become concurrently effective on any or all classes of automobile insurance effected by the subscribers through the attorney, or, in lieu of this amount, the exchange or interinsurer is possessed of a surplus of not less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000);
(iv) The surplus as provided in this subdivision shall not be acceptable unless invested in securities of the United States of America, the state of Rhode Island, or any other state of the United States or political subdivision of the state;
(7) That there shall be maintained at the exchange, available for the payment of losses, assets conforming to the requirements of §§ 27-17-7 27-17-12;
(8) A financial statement under oath in the form prescribed by the commissioner;
(9) An instrument authorizing the service of process as provided for in this chapter; and
(10) A certificate from the proper official of the state where the principal office is maintained, that the subscribers and the attorney have complied with all provisions of law and are authorized in that state to transact the classes of business which are sought to be transacted in this state.
(P.L. 1952, ch. 3003, § 3; G.L. 1956, § 27-17-4; P.L. 2002, ch. 292, § 32.)