§ 27-18-28. Health insurance contracts Abortion.
(a) No health insurance contract, plan, or policy, delivered or issued for delivery in the state, shall provide coverage for induced abortions, except where the life of the mother would be endangered if the fetus were carried to term or where the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest, and except by an optional rider for which there must be paid an additional premium. This section shall be applicable to all contracts, plans, or policies of:
(1) All health insurers subject to this title;
(2) All group and blanket health insurers subject to this title;
(3) All nonprofit hospital, medical, surgical, dental, and health service corporations; and
(4) All health maintenance organizations;
(5) Any provision of medical, hospital, surgical, and funeral benefits, and of coverage against accidental death or injury, when the benefits or coverage are incidental to or part of other insurance authorized by the statutes of this state.
(b) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to pertain to insurance coverage for complications as the result of an abortion.
(P.L. 1983, ch. 212, § 1.)